Sunday, October 10, 2004

Warm Summer Weather

Even though it is mid-October, the weather here is warm and summer-like. The Trades aren't really blowing now, so the days seem sticky - almost sweltering. We had some students come over to eat some aebelskiver with us today, and just to stay comfortable we all had to sit on the lanai (patio).

Warm sultry days remind me of the current political climate, which is sweltering in its own right. Each day is long and unpleasant, and even the slightest breeze of good news provides such a feeling of relief. Today, the polls are with Bush. I can hardly wait for these dog-days of the election to end. If things tip towards Kerry, though, I can't imagine how I might feel. Somehow, I just want to believe that everything will fall toward the right.

I surfed yesterday afternoon at Turtle Bay and escaped the heat. It was fun surf, waist to chest high and drawing only the mellowest of crowds. We caught high tide (that was bad) but the crowd (5-8 people, some hotel guests) couldn't have been more pleasant. The only downer of the day was of my own doing. We brought a new recruit, and I lent him my 9' Stewart board. I took off on a wave behind him and then I suppose he panicked when he saw me and/or the wave about to break. Anyhow, he bailed off his/my board shoving it broadside in front of me. I felt the thump of my fin hitting the Stewart and the painful thought, "They're both my boards," went through my mind. The damage ended the session and an otherwise perfect day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home